LEYLAND TITAN OPD2/1 - 2761

After World War II, Leyland Motors supplied a total of 90 OPD1 chassis with constant mesh gearboxes, followed by 203 OPD2/1 chassis with synchomesh gearboxes, and finally a batch of 50 special order OPD2/1 chassis with pre-selector gearboxes.

 

2761 is an example of the last batch of 50 fitted with 'Wilson' pre-selector gearboxes. It was bodied by Clyde Engineering of Granville and completed in July 1953, but was stored until Februrary 1954 - at this time buses were being stockpiled in readiness for the conversion of tram routes to bus operation.

 

The bus initially operated from Kingsgrove depot and later Willoughby depot until 1969, when all 50 of the pre-selector Leylands were sent to Newcastle. In 1973 the bus returned to Kingsgrove where it ran from until March 1976, when it was withdrawn and purchased for conversion to a caravan, however it languished around in a backyard at Greenacre until 1981.

 

In 1981 a syndicate of members purchased the bus for preservation after it became clear that the caravan project would never be realised. In 1995 it underwent a major body restoration. The bus is one of the main workhorses of the Museum fleet.

 

 

Specifications:

Engine: 9.8 litre six cylinder Leyland 0.600 diesel engine, bore 4.8", stroke 5.5", 125 b.h.p. at 1800 RPM.

 

Transmission: Air operated four speed Wilson pre-selector gearbox to a worm drive differential. 

 

Brakes: Air operated footbrake and mechanical park brake. 

2761-K.jpg
2761-Newcastle-1972

© 2019 Sydney Bus & Truck Museum Limited

 

Images courtesy:
David Wilson, Liam Brundle, Greg Travers, John Ward, Steve Burrows, Dean Jones