AEC REGENT III - 2338

2338 after restoration at Leichhardt in 2015.

After World War II, a total of 845 double decker bus chassis were ordered by the Department of Road Transport & Tramways, from manufacturers in the United Kingdom.


These deliveries enabled the withdrawal of buses that had been running since the 1930s, restarted the tramway replacement program in Sydney and Newcastle and enabled the expansion of Government bus services in both cities.

 

 

The Associated Equipment Company (AEC) supplied 359 Regent III buses. All were delivered with the then new and revolutionary pre-selector semi-automatic gearbox.

 

The first 309 were built by Commonwealth Engineering of Granville and fitted with canvas front doors, as demonstrated by Museum buses 792 and 2087. These were later removed and panelled over in later overhauls. The last 50, bodied by Clyde Engineering, had air operated jack-knife front doors.

 

2338 was bodied by Commonwealth Engineering and entered service on December 2nd 1949. Initially allocated to Randwick depot, it spent time at Pagewood, Enfield, Willoughby and North Sydney depots before settling at Ryde depot. Early in 1973 the bus was sent to Burwood depot before being withdrawn in November 1973.

 

Hunter Valley Coaches of Maitland purchased the vehicle and registered it MO 5203. It was deregistered by Hunter Valley in 1977 and sold to a member for preservation. 2338 was brought to Sydney in 1986 where Iit was restored to 1970s condition.

 

2338 was taken out of Museum service in 2012 to undergo a thorough overhaul, including the replacement of the metal frame and aluminium panels by our dedicated volunteers and a repaint of the bus was carried out by Custom Coaches in early 2015.

 

Specifications:

Engine: 9.6 litre 6-cylinder AEC diesel engine, bore 4.72", stroke 5.59", 125 B.H.P. at 1800 R.P.M.

 

Transmission: Four speed 'Wilson' air operated pre-selector epicyclic gearbox to a worm drive transmission.

 

Brakes: Air operated foot brake to all wheels and a mechanical hand brake to the rear wheels.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2019 Sydney Bus & Truck Museum Limited

 

Images courtesy:
David Wilson, Liam Brundle, Greg Travers, John Ward, Steve Burrows, Dean Jones