LEYLAND TITAN OPD2/1 - 2087
After the end of World War II, the Department of Road Transport & Tramways ordered a total of 845 double decker bus chassis from various companies in the UK.
Leyland Motors supplied a total of 343 chassis: 90 Leyland OPD1 chassis with 'crash' gearboxes, 203 Leyland OPD2/1 chassis with 'synchromesh' gearboxes and 50 special order Leyland OPD2/1 with 'Wilson' pre-selector' gearboxes.
2087, bodied by Commonwealth Engineering, was one of the batch of 203 synchromesh gearbox buses, dubbed the 'synchros', and entered service on August 21 1948 from Burwood depot, replacing tram services on the Enfield lines (Ashfield - Enfield - Burwood - Mortlake / Cabarita, now routes 464 / 466). When the former Enfield tram depot was re-opened as a bus depot in January 1950, 2087 was one of 50 Burwood buses allocated there. Later in the mid-1950s, the bus was sent back to Burwood.
Later in its career, it operated out of Burwood, Randwick, Kingsgrove and Tempe depots. It was withdrawn on August 29, 1972.
The 'synchros' were very popular with traffic and mechanical staff alike, being easy to work. Upon entry to service, like all other deckers of the period, it was fitted with a front canvas door. These were removed in the mid-1960s due to safety concerns, and an extra seat installed, raising the seating capacity from 59 to 61.
2087 was purchased by a group of enthusiasts three days after being withdrawn. It was among the first buses to be secured for preservation. It was restored to original 1940s condition, including re-instatement of the front canvas door and painting with 4" black lining.
In 2010-12, the bus underwent an engine change and mechanical overhaul.
Engine: 9.8 litre six cylinder Leyland 0.600 diesel engine, bore 4.8", stroke 5.5", developing 125 B.H.P. at 1800 R.P.M.
Transmission: Four speed 'synchromesh' gearbox to a worm drive differential.
Brakes: Vacuum foot brake to all wheels and a mechanical park brake to the rear wheels.