ALBION VENTURER CX19W - 1892

After World War II, a total of 845 double decker bus chassis were ordered from AEC, Albion and Leyland in the United Kingdom. Albion of Glasgow, Scotland, supplied 143 Albion Venturer CX19W chassis, making the DGT one of the largest customers of the Scottish firm. In Sydney the buses were bodied both by Commonwealth Engineering and Clyde Engineering. 

 

The Albions became synonymous with the Warringah area, being the mainstay of Sydney's longest bus route, the 190, from Wynyard to Palm Beach from 1948 until late 1970.

 

Those initially allocated to Manly depot were transferred to the new Brookvale depot when it opened in 1952. North Sydney depot and when it opened in 1958 Willoughby depot also had large Albion fleets. Pagewood depot, in south-eastern Sydney, also had a sizeable allocation of Albions from 1963 onwards. 

 

1892 was bodied by Clyde Engineering and entered service in September 1947, initially to Manly and then Brookvale. In 1963 the bus was sent to Pagewood depot in, and 1892 has the distinction of being the last Albion to operate from Pagewood. It was then sent back to Brookvale, and continued operating out of there until withdrawal from service a few months later in 1970. 

 

Forestville Catholic Church then purchased the bus from the Chullora Bus Workshops. The bus was later purchased by a member, operated as a caravan for a time, and later restored to DGT condition. 

In 2015 the bus was resprayed by Custom Coaches. 

 

Specifications:

Engine: 9.08 litre OHV Albion diesel Type EN 242, 120 B.H.P. at 1700 RPM.

 

Transmission: Four speed constant mesh "crash" gearbox to a worm drive differential. 

 

Brakes: Vacuum operated foot brake and a mechanical park brake. 

 

 

© 2019 Sydney Bus & Truck Museum Limited

 

Images courtesy:
David Wilson, Liam Brundle, Greg Travers, John Ward, Steve Burrows, Dean Jones