LEYLAND ATLANTEAN PDR1A/1 - 1224
1224 is the last of 224 Leyland Atlantean double deckers that entered service between 1970 and 1973 for the Public Transport Commission.
The chassis was built in England by British Leyland, and all were bodied locally by Pressed Metal Corporation of Revesby. 1224 was the last bus completed and entered service from Pagewood depot on 29 March 1973.
The Atlanteans were the centre of a bitter dispute between the PTC and the Unions regarding one-man operation and the removal of conductors. This, coupled with severe reliability problems saw that they were not the most successful buses in service, and they had relatively short service lives.
1224 was withdrawn after only six-years of service in June 1979. After a period of storage, it was sold to Rover Motors of Cessnock in April 1981. Rover Motors registered it as MO 8972 and used it on school services.
In late 1992 the bus was set aside by Rover Motors, and in February 1993 the bus was purchased by two members for preservation. It underwent an overhaul in the mid 1990s.
1224 remains in a fully operational condition for Museum events today.
Engine: Leyland 0.680 6-cylinder diesel engine developing 150 B.H.P. at 2,000 RPM, mounted transversley across the year.
Transmission: Four speed air operated pneumocyclic gearbox incorporating an angle drive to a crown wheel and pinion differential.
Brakes: Dual circuit air operated footbrake and a spring applied 'maxi' parking brake.
Steering: Power assisted hydraulic.