BEDFORD - 100
Though 100 may be called a Bedford and similar looking to an OB Bedford, the engine cowling and front guards are the only things Bedford about it.
Typical of many private buses of its era, it is made up of parts from many different makes - the chassis is built from pre-war truck parts, mainly from General Motors, the front axle is from a pre-war REO, and the rear axle & transmission are Ford parts. The engine is a Perkins P6. The body, number 1741, was built by Syd Wood of Bankstown and was completed on May 16 1957.
Operated by Jamieson Bus Service, the bus ran on several routes between Hurstville Station and Carss Park. Formerly registered m/o 100, the bus was retired in December 1976, being one of the last normal-control (bonneted) type buses in NSW.
It was purchased by two members for preservation in 1986, and underwent a 3 year restoration. The bus passed to the Museum for continued preservation in 2013.
100 is in fully operational condition.
Engine: 4.7 litre Perkins P6 diesel engine, bore 3.5", stroke 5" developing 70 B.H.P. at 2200 R.P.M.
Transmission: Ford four speed constant mesh "crash" gearbox driving a crown wheel and pinion differential.
Brakes: Hydralic footbrake to all wheels and a transmission parking brake.