BEDFORD - 100

100 is typical of many private buses built from the late 1930s to the 1950s. 

 

Although badged as a Bedford, mechanically it is a mix of parts from many different manufacturers. The chassis is constructed from pre-war truck parts, mainly General Motors in origin. The front axle is from a pre-war REO, whilst the rear axle assembly and transmission are war-time Ford parts. The engine is a Perkins P6 diesel. 

 

The body is zincaneal sheeting on a timber frame and was built by Syd Wood of Bankstown. Indeed, the only Bedford parts on it are the engine cowling and front guards, even though it may look like a Bedford OB!

 

Built for Jamieson's Bus Service and completed on May 16 1957, the bus was registered m/o 100 and used on various routes between Hurstville Railway station and Carss Park. It was retired in 1976, by which time it was one of the last 'normal control' (bonneted) buses in NSW.

 

It was purchased by two members for preservation in 1986, and fully restored over a three year period. In 2012 the bus passed to the Museum for continued preservation.

 

100 is fully operational today.

 

Specifications:
Engine: 4.7 litre Perkins P6 diesel engine, bore 3.5", stroke 5", developing 70 B.H.P. at 2200 R.P.M. 

 

Transmission: Four speed Ford constant mesh 'crash' gearbox to a crown wheel and pinion differential. 

 

Brakes: Hydraulic footbrake to all wheels and a transmission parking brake. 

 

© 2019 Sydney Bus & Truck Museum Limited

 

Images courtesy:
David Wilson, Liam Brundle, Greg Travers, John Ward, Steve Burrows, Dean Jones